December 10, 2004

Motorcyclist dies after crash

Published in the Home News Tribune 12/10/04

Edward Rogers Jr., who taught safety courses to hundreds of motorcyclists, died early yesterday, the result of a motorcycle accident Tuesday night in North Brunswick.

The motorcycle he was operating collided with a car at 8:15 p.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Georges Road and the ramp for southbound Route 1 in North Brunswick.

He died yesterday at 1:35 a.m. at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, according to North Brunswick police.

Rogers, a resident of New Brunswick, is survived by his wife, Stacey, and the couple's three children, 7-year-old Edward III, Kristen, 5, and Sarah, 19 months.

He would have celebrated his 43rd birthday the day after Christmas.

Stacey Rogers said yesterday she will draw on her religious beliefs to cope with the death of her husband.

"I have to go on," she said. "God works all things for good, and somehow there will be good from this. I can't see it now, but I must believe it."

Courtesy of the Rogers family
Edward Rogers Jr. with his wife, Stacey, and the couple's three children, 7-year-old Edward III, Kristen, 5, and Sarah, 19 months.

Stacey Rogers said her husband was devoted to his three children and the exercise of his Christian faith, and had a passion for motorcycles.

He was employed as a software engineer for BEM Systems in Chatham, an environmental engineering firm.

Rogers had a second job as a certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) RiderCourse instructor at the Fairleigh Dickinson University Teaneck campus, through its continuing education department.

"It was a hard hit for us," said Joan Leder, the senior program director for the office of continuing education.

Leder said Rogers was known for wearing maximum safety and reflective gear. "He was big on safety, and was capable of riding everywhere, in all weather," she said.

The courses he taught at FDU were for beginners and experienced riders, with 12 persons per class over a period of two and a half days.

"He taught hundreds, if not thousands," said Leder, an experienced motorcyclist who said she continued to learn safety tips from Rogers at monthly workshop meetings.

According to police, Rogers was traveling south on Georges Road, turning left onto the ramp for southbound Route 1. He was struck by a vehicle driven by Rachel Diehl, 18, of Manville. She was traveling north on Route 130 headed toward Georges Road.

The intersection was closed for nearly three hours during the police investigation.

Rogers and Diehl were transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital by North Brunswick rescue units. Diehl was treated for minor injuries. Rogers suffered serious injuries to his chest and legs, according to the police report.

No charges were filed.

Rogers' family were active members of the Mount Zion AME Church in New Brunswick, where Rogers led a program to provide emergency housing for the homeless at the church.

When Mount Zion was hosting a homeless shelter on a rotating basis with other churches, "he (Rogers) took complete charge, making sure there was clean bedding, and the place was neat," said Dorothy Carter, the church secretary.

Rogers was a member of the Christian Motorcycle Association.

Rogers, a native of Jersey City, met his wife when the two attended Rutgers University. Rogers graduated in 1988, and the couple resided in New Brunswick ever since.

The investigation into the accident is being conducted by patrolman George Himmel. Anyone with information about the accident is asked to call (732) 247-0922, Ext. 410.

Rick Malwitz:(732) 565-7291;

Return to Ed's Memorial Page     Return to the Honda Sabre and Magna Web Site