Questions for Chapter 14
1. Who were some of the important people instrumental in European exploration, trade and territorial expansion?
2. How did Muslim merchants expand the world trade network at the end of the 15th Century?
3. What were the motives of the Europeans expansion in the late 15th
4. What political and scientific developments made European exploration possible?
5. Why were the Portuguese so successful in taking over the spice trade from Muslim traders?
6. How did Portugal and Spain acquire their overseas Empires and how did their methods differ?
7. Identify the two ethnic groups created by European colonization of Central
and South America?
8. What did the Spanish and Portuguese use to control the native populations in Latin America?
9. Who was Sor Juana Intel de la Cruz and why was she a forerunner to Mary Wollstonecraft?
10. (Document page 366-367) Is there a contradiction between the sentiments
expressed by Nunez and the treatment described by Las Casas?
11. What were the consequences of the arrival of the Europeans in America on the American Indians?
12. What were the consequences of the arrival of the Europeans in America on the Europeans?
13. (Document page 368) List the positive and negative consequences that
the Columbian exchange had on the “Old World” and the “New World.” (use the article and your own knowledge)
14. What were the main features of the African slave trade, and what effects did European participation have on traditional
15. (Document page 373) a) What is the authors overall view of slavery?
b) How does he justify the practice? c) What inaccurate ideas does he try to correct?
d) How does he compare the Dutch to other European slavers?
16. What were the main characteristics of Southeast Asian societies and how were they affected by the coming of Islam
and the Europeans?
17. (Document page 376-77) a) What were the reasons given by Louis IV? b)
How did the King of Tonkin respond?