Home

THE HUPP FAMILY
of
WASHINGTON COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

By Olin L. Hupp
revised 06/01


Beginnings


I have not yet determined the origin of the Hupp family. The earliest Hupp I have on record is Heinrich Hupp. He is recorded in the 1612 census for Bad Bergzabern, Pfalz, Germany. This area is just south of Kaiserslautern, west of the Rhine River.[Kasterns, p.16] John Hupp, of southwest Pennsylvania, was said to be from Holland, near Dortrecht [McFarland]. Other studies believe the Hupps came from Germany on the Swiss border [Hupp, Ann Moffitt]. Many of the recorded Hupps in our early census state their country of origin as Bavaria. A large number seem to live today in an area of Baden-Wuerttemberg from where many of the Germanna colonists came.

There are eight members of the Hupp family mentioned in early Washington County, Pennsylvania records: The mother, Elizabeth (Hupp) Ault; brothers George Hupp (b. 1734-1737), Everhart (Everhard) Hupp (b. 1745), John Hupp (b. 1747), Francis Hupp, Balser (Palser or Baltus) Hupp (b. 1754). Philip Hupp (b. 1756) and their sister Elizabeth (Hupp) Smith. The early histories of Washington County written by Creigh in 1870, Crumfine in 1882, McFarland in 1910 and Forrest in 1926 tell of the Hupp brothers and state that they came from the Shenandoah region or Culpeper County, Virginia. The wills of Philip (Hoop) Hupp and Mathias Ault give the names of the mother and daughter.

Philip Hupp - Father

Death of Philip Hupp

The Germanna Record Number 6 written by B.C. Holtzclaw (The Memorial Foundation of Germanna Colonies, P.O. Box 693, Culpeper, VA. 22701) on p.86 states:

31. Hupp (Hoop) Philip died in Culpeper Co., VA. 1761, leaving a will which mentions his wife Elizabeth, and children, George, Baltus (i.e., Balthazar), Philip and Elizabeth.

Will of
Philip Hoop (Hupp)
Will Book A of Culpeper Co. records the will of Philip Hoop (Hupp) on pages 264-265. It is dated 21 April 1761 and proved in the Court during the months of September and October of 1761. In addition to mentioning the family members listed above, the will refers to "that land and plantation I had of Robert Hutcheson on the top of Greens and Moors Mounting and all the grain that (is) growing on the same." His estate, valued at L47.15.4, included some Dutch books. Executors of the will were wife Elizabeth and Henry Ayler.

The land owned by Mr. Robert Hutcheson was north of the Hazel River, and southwest of Red Oak Mountain in what is currently Rappahannock County, Virginia (previously Culpeper Co.) [Little]. The well traveled "Thorntion's Gap Road" ran through this area [Scheel]. Any record of the land sale to Philip Hupp has not been located.

The will does not mention Everhart, John or Francis Hupp. Since George was the oldest son and neither Everhart, John or Francis was living at the home, their inheritance, if any, may have been taken care of at another time. Everhart and John were deeded 250 acres of land on the Hazel River in 1762, and deeded it away again in 1769.

After Philip Hupp's death, his wife married Mathias Ault [Sheperd]. Before 1769 and perhaps even before 1766, the Hupp and Ault family moved northwest into the "forbidden" land claimed by both Virginia and Pennsylvania, the headwaters of the Ohio River. The family made their home on the frontier of "old" Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.

The route most commonly taken to he west bank of the Monongahela River in southwestern Pennsylvania followed the Potomac River north to Frederick, Maryland and then west to Hagerstown, then Fort Cumberland, Maryland. From here travel turned northwest into Pennsylvania, on Braddock's Road, past Fort Necessity and Uniontown to Brownsville on the Monongahela River (currently U.S. 40). Then up river (south) to Ten Mile Creek.

Moving To
Pennsylvania
Ten Mile and The Monongahela























Everhart Hupp's
Land




















Margaret Thomas
























John Hupp
and
Anne Rowe























George Hupp
















































Philip Hupp
(son)














Balser Hupp
Most early history books on Washington County, Pennsylvania refer to the Hupp Family. Reports differ as to just when the Hupps came to the fork of Ten Mile Creek and the Monongahela River. The older published Washington County histories [Creigh, Crumrine, McFarland and Forrest] agree that the Hupps, Bumgarners [see Hurt] and Teagardens were the earliest "recorded" (filed for land titles) settlers in the region. Crumrine (p.765) says that Everhart Hupp, George Bumgarner (from Culpeper County, Virginia) and Abraham Teagarden came from Virginia together to the mouth of the Ten Mile Creek in 1766. He cites a specific grant of land to Hupp in 1766. Forrest (pp. 44-45) only cites the 1769 date from old survey records in the Washington County Records Office. There is no source given to the 1766 date.

It was technically illegal under Pennsylvania law to settle this region in 1766. The law, however, made little difference to potential settlers who "tomahawked" land claims in the region. It was difficult to enforce such laws in a wilderness claimed by both Virginia and Pennsylvania. Many potential settlers were from Virginia and Maryland.

Everhart Hupp's land contained two large tracts on the north bank of Ten Mile Creek. These were later surveyed as Hupp's Regard (387 acres) and Hupp's Bottom (295 acres). The land begins about a quarter of a mile north of the Ten Mile Creek bridge on Route 88 near Millsboro, extending back into the hills to the north and west. Included is the present town of Besco and part of the hills above. The tracts include Hog's Hill road to Sandy Plains, called Racine on older maps [Bower]. Forrest (p.49) says that Hupp built a blockhouse on the land in 1769.

Russell Bane, a descendant of the Hupps and Millsboro resident, believes that Everhart Hupp's cabin was on the high hill by the Route 88 bridge over Ten Mile Creek [Bower]. Forrest (p.45) agrees. This was in later years known as "the Point." Crimrine (p.373) mentions a 1791 petition for a road "leading from Muddy Creek and Whitely Road, Everhard Hupp's Mill, James Crawford's Ferry, Weatland Meeting House and Nathan Heald's Mill to intersect the Pittsburg Road." Everhard Hupp's Mill is believed to have been on Black Dog Hollow. Everhard later purchased two tracts of land farther up Ten Mile Creek near the present village of Ten Mile [Bower].

Margaret Thomas [see Thomas], wife of Everhart Hupp, was the first known white woman to live west of the Monongahela River. They had eleven children. Their home was a gathering place for men of the settlement of Sandy Plains. The hospitality was extended to white and red men alike. They brought their game for Margaret to prepare when they tired of their own cooking. George Washington is said to have visited on one of his western trips [Bower].

Everhart lived there until his death. Everhart is reported to have died in 1824 by Crimrine (p.765), however the 1830 census list him alive in the East Bethlehem Township. The house was dismantled in the late 1920's by a coal company and hauled down the hill to build houses for miners. The home was a simple two story log structure with two front doors, such as two smaller log homes joined together [Bower; picture p.13].

During May of 1782, Lieutenant Everhart Hupp served under Col. Crawford fighting Indians on the Sandusky Expedition [Pa. Archives, 6th ser., Vol. 11]. During the Revolutionary War, Everhart served for a time as a lieutenant in Captain Sweeny's Company, Fifth Battalion of the Washington County Militia [Leckey]. Everhart is an ancestor of the Clarksville, Pennsylvania Hupps.

John Hupp, brother of Everhart, was born in 1747. He married Anne Rowe, daughter of Adam Rowe, and had four children. She was one of the Rowe children who escaped the Rowe massacre at the flats of Grave Creek near Wheeling, West Virginia in 1776 [Sipe].

John settled on the Greene County side of the Ten Mile Creek. His application (No. 3319) obtained a warrant on June 3, 1769 for 131 acres [Leckey]. An adjacent tract at the point formed by Ten Mile Creek and the Monongahela River where the present railroad bridge enters Greene County, called "Sugar Camp", was sold to George Teagarden by John Hop (Hupp) in 1768. This site was later known as "Teagarden's Bottoms." Improvements on the tracts were made in 1765 [Vogt, p.41].

In 1774 John moved to the Dutch Fork of the Buffalo in "old" Ohio County, Virginia now Donegal Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania. He was joined in this move by his brothers, George and Philip, his sister Elizabeth, and Mathias and Elizabeth (Hupp) Ault. Francis Hupp moved to nearby Middle Wheeling Creek [Bell]. John served as a private in Captain Eleazer Williamson's Company, Third Battalion, Washington County Militia [Pa. Archives 6th ser.,Vol II, p.124] and as a private in Captain Williamson's Company of Rangers on the Frontiers from 1778 to 1782 [Pa. Archives 3rd ser.,Vol XXXIII, p.310].

George Hupp is listed as a settler of record at Camp Cat Fish Corte on the Monongahela River (just north of Millsboro) in June 1772. Horn indicates that George apparently helped lay out several roads in the area. Many of Horn's records have been proven false and should be strongly questioned. However, I have not located any reference which disagrees with the following statements.

George Hupp was born in New Jersey in 1734. He went to Maryland when he was fourteen, and shipped with a trading vessel for the West Indies in 1750, remaining there until 1753. In 1755, he was in the Virginia Militia at the Battle of Monongahela. After Braddock's defeat, he escaped and went up the Monongahela River to Redstone. In 1763, he was at Fort Queen Elizabeth for about two months. In 1764, he met and later married a Delaware Indian girl living at a small Delaware Indian camp on the Kithning or Chartiers Creek. They had ten children. He settled on the north side of Ten Mile Creek in Washington County in 1767. In 1771, he moved to another tract of land. George Hupp died about 1823. His wife died in 1816 [Horn, p.553].

The Hardtman Horn Poll for 1773 indicates George Hupp arrived in 1765 from Virginia [Horn, p.112].George settled on the west side of the Monongahela River at Teagarden's Bottoms (Millsboro, Pa.) in 1766 [Horn, v.1, p.237]. In 1767, George erected Fort Logan, about one mile from Fort Teagarden on the highland above the Monongahela River. This fort was destroyed by fire in 1773. George served in the Illinois Regiment during the Revolution [Brumbaugh].

On September 5, 1772, Camp Cat Fish Corte found George Hupp guilty of throwing his Indian (Delaware) wife in the river while being "tight and very obnoxious", and ordered the sheriff, with Samuel Jackson and John Teagarden, each to lay seven lashes on George Hupp, between the hour of ten and twelve. John Nardin, the Kentucky pioneer, on a visit to his home at Millsboro in 1800, related how he, George Teagarden, George Hupp and the wood rangers punished a band of Cayuga-Seneca Indians for making raids in Morgan and Jefferson Townships in June 1774 [Horn, p.291].

George Hupp is listed as a land holder in Nelson County, Kentucky in 1787 (then Virginia). After 1791 George moved to Washington County, Kentucky, southeast of Louisville. George at some point took a new white wife and had several children. George's exploits at the Battle of the Monongahela gave him familiarity with the Washington County region and may account for the Hupp family migration to Ten Mile Creek.

Philip Hupp, like other members of his family, was a woodsman and adventurer. Like his older brother Everhart, Philip joined the Sandusky Expedition as a soldier under Col. Crawford [Pa. Archives, 6th Ser., Vol.11]. Philip also served in some of the campaigns of George Rogers Clark's Illinois Regiment as a Matross [English] and received depreciation pay from Fort Pitt [Pa. Archives, 5th Ser., p.405]. He served during the Revolutionary War for 3 years in Virginia's 13th Regiment under Captain Sullivan and subsequently in the 9th Regiment [Brumbaugh]. While in the 13th, he also volunteered to crew the river boat Rattletrap under the command of Captain James Willing, returning to Fort Pitt, Pennsylvania on December 22, 1777 [Kellogg]. Philip Hupp and Lazarus Rhyne sold their Military Land Warrents to John Stokely, a land speculator [Va. archives].

Balser Hupp, after living for a short time in Millsboro, along Ten Mile Creek, returned across the Allegheny's to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He settled on 365 acres, a little north of New Market, Virginia on the Shenandoah River (west of Interstate 81 just above the new Market battlefield). He was married first to Mary (7 children) and then to Barbara Grove (4 children). Balser was buried during 1829 in the Neff-Kagey Cemetery just north of his farm, along the Shenandoah River [Hupp, Timothy].

Border Living
Donagal Township
Dutch Fork of the Buffalo

Just before you leave the state of Pennsylvania, on Route 40 going into West Virginia, you pass just south of the Dutch Fork region of Donagal Township. In 1774 John and George Hupp lived along the Dutch Creek Fork, just south of the Buffalo River. Philip Hupp settled along Dutch Creek at the same time or perhaps a year later. Francis Hupp settled near by, about 3 miles south of West Alexander, Pennsylvania on Middle "Little" Wheeling Creek [Bell].

In 1774 Donagal Township was jointly claimed by Virginia and Pennsylvania. In 1780 the boundary dispute was settled placing Donagal Township in Pennsylvania. John took the oath of Allegiance to the Commonwealth of Virginia in Ohio County, Virginia in October 1777. George took the same oath on October 15, 1777. Both were sworn by Thomas Waller [Bell].

Death of Francis Hupp

Indians on
Middle Wheeling Creek


In September 1781, Francis Hupp, Jacob Fisher and Captain Jacob Miller set out from Miller's Blockhouse on Dutch Creek to look for stray horses while scouting the area. At nightfall they returned to the cabin of Jonathan Link on the right bank of the middle fork of Wheeling Creek about 3 miles south of West Alexander, very near the West Virginia line. The following morning, Shawnee Indians killed Jacob Fisher and mortally wounded Francis Hupp after they had stepped to a nearly spring. Francis returned to the cabin to warn his companions. Captain Jacob Miller and Jonathan Link were taken prisoners by the Shawnee. Francis Hupp was taken out of the cabin and scalped. After burning Link's cabin the Indians continued to attack several more frontier homes, burning and taking prisoners. Jonathan Link was later killed by the Indians. Captain Jacob Miller escaped to return home 24 hours later. Captain Jacob Miller, John Miller, Andrew Deeds and Jacob Rowe buried Francis Hupp and Jacob Fisher by the side of the Middle Wheeling Creek, about midway between Link's cabin and the creek, a few feet east of the West Virginia line [Creigh].

Indian Attack
at
Miller's Blockhouse
Death of John Hupp

Along the Highway U.S. 40, a few miles west of Claysville and Coon Island, is a historical marker relating to frontier life, Indians attacks and the Hupp family. It refers to Miller's Blockhouse and states the following:

Site 3 miles north. Built about 1780 by Jacob Miller, Sr. Rendezvous for settlers of the Dutch Fork area. Here, March 31, 1782, Ann Hupp lead a heroic defense against Indians.


Ann Hupp
a Heroine
.
On Easter Sunday morning, March 31, 1782, about 70 Shawnee warriors surrounded Miller's Blockhouse on the Dutch Fork of Buffalo Creek. In the Blockhouse at the time were John Hupp and his four months pregnant wife Ann (Rowe), their three small children ages 6,4, and 2; Jacob Miller, Sr. And Frederick Miller, age 11; Edward Gaither and family; and an old man, Mathias Ault, second husband of Elizabeth Hupp.

Unaware of the Indians, John Hupp and Jacob Miller set out early to look for a stay colt and were immediately killed. For the rest of the day, under the leadership of Ann Hupp, the blockhouse was defended. Later, Jacob Rowe (age 16, brother to Ann Hupp); Jacob Miller, Jr. (age 20) and Philip Hupp (age 26) managed to enter the blockhouse after leaving nearby Rice's Fort. During the night the Indians withdrew. John Hupp, Jacob Miller, Sr., Jacob Miller, Jr. and Frederick Miller are buried in the Miller cemetery at the eastern edge of what is now Dutch Fork Lake. There is a Hupp family cemetery, atop the hill (left up first road on the right), on the west side of the lake [Bell].

After the battle the widow Ann Hupp and her children returned, with her brother-in-law Philip Hupp, to the Ten Mile Creek area to live with her brother-in-law Everhard Hupp [Creigh]. During the following months, Everhart and Philip served on the Sandusky Expedition of 1782. In 1786, Ann Hupp married John May. Ann and Philip retained their ownership of land in the Dutch Fork area until 1793 [Bell].

Mathias Ault
(Stepfather
)
Death of Mathias Ault





Lazarus Rhyne
Elizabeth Hupp
The last will and testament of Mathais Ault (Charleston, West Virginia, page 18, proven February 1791) was created on February 22,1790. Elizabeth (Hupp) Ault is the beneficiary during her life. Upon her death all of the movable estate is divided between his step-children, Philip Hupp, Lazarus Rhyne and Elizabeth (Hupp) Smith. Elizabeth was also given some cooking pans. Lazarus Rhyne was given all the land. Henry Smith was the Executor of the will. I do not know the relationship of Lazarus Rhyne, however he seems to be mentioned many times along side Philip Hupp.

Philip Hupp
and
Mary Buzzard
Death of Philip Hupp















Moving To Ohio





On July 25, 1782 in Hamphire County, Virginia, Philip Hupp married Mary Buzzard (born February 27, 1755?; died May 20, 1852) [Sheperd]. The Buzzard and Ault families were related and are said to be from the Alsace Lorraine region in Europe [Buzzard].

Over the next few years Philip Hupp lived west of Fort Henry on Wheeling Creek, in what is today Ohio County, West Virginia. He also owned land south of the Ohio River along Fishing Creek, west of Moundsville, both in West Virginia (Ohio County Deed Book). Given the date of ownership, it is unlikely that Philip lived on the Fish or Fishing Creek lands. This area had not been settled, however land was a good investment.

Philip and Mary moved into Ohio around the year 1800. They had eight children. After living in Bethel Township, Monroe County, Philip died in Duck Creek Valley, near Middleburg, Noble County, Ohio on November 9, 1831. Mary died May 20, 1852. They are both buried in the Hessen Cemetery, on the north side of Route 564 just east of Middleburg, Ohio.


(First written and Published by Olin L. Hupp in Beyond Germanna, March and May 1993, Volume 5,n.2, n1: revised 07/2000)
References

Bell, Raymond M., The Dutch Fork Settlement of Donegal Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania, c1977

Bower, W. Scott; Crowther, Louise, Fredericktown 1790 - 1990, c1990

Brumbaugh, Gaius M., Revolutionary War Records Vol. 1 Virginia, c1936

Buzzard, Monte P., The Buzzard Family in America, c1981

Creigh, Alfred, History of Washington County, c1871

Crumrine, Boyd, History of Washington County, Pennsylvania, c1882

English, William H., Conquest of the Country Northwest of the River Ohio 1778-1783, c1895

Gwathmey, John H., Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution, c1938

Horn, W.F., The Horn Papers, c1945

Hupp, Ann Moffet, Genealogy Hupp, at LDS

Hupp, Timothy, Hupps from the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, c1986

Hurt, Ardys V., "Johann Frederick Baumgardner" in Beyond Germannna,v.1,n.5,p.41

Kastens, Dennis Allen, Bad Bergzabern Residents A.D. 1200-1616, 1993

Kellogg, Louise Phelps; Thwaites, Reuben Gold, Frontier Defense on the Upper Ohio, 1777-1819, c1912

Leckley, Howard L., The Ten Mile Country and Its Pioneer Families, c1950

Little, Barbara Vines, Hupp Land Research, c1992

McFarland, Joseph F., 20th Century History of the City of Washington and Washington County, Penn., c1910

Pennsylvania Archives

Sheperd, W. Flora, Genealogy: Philip Hupp and Mary Buzzard, c1981

Scheel, Eugene M., "A New and Accurate Map of the County of Culpeper and regions of Madison and Rappahannock, VA. 1776"

Sipe, C. Hale, The Indian Wars of Pennsylvania, c1931

Thomas, Abraham, "An Account of Pioneer Life and Experiences" in Beyond Germanna, v.4,n.1,p.185

Va. archives, Revolutionary War Records, Section III Virginia Military Warrents, search "Stokely"

Vogt, Helen E., Descendants of Abraham Teagarden, c1967