Fort Lee(1776 - 1783),
Bull's Ferry Fort (1780 - 1783), Hudson Heights
Paulus Hook Fort (1776 - 1783), Jersey City
Fort Mercer (1776 - 1777, 1778 - 1781), Red Bank, near Woodbury
Fort Billings (1776 - 1777, 1779 - 1781), Billingsport
Tom's River Fort (1776 - 1777), near Bridgeport ?
Middlebrook Encampment (1777, 1778 - 1779), Bound Brook
Fort Nonsense (1777 - 1780), Morristown
(1776 - 1783), Fort Lee, Fort Lee
It was originally known as Fort Constitution, and was a square-bastioned earthwork up on the Palisades. Below the fort on the Hudson was Burdette's (Bourdet's) Battery. The Patriots hastily abondoned the fort, nearly being completely overwhelmed when the British arrived in 1776 after the capture of Fort Washington. The British partially dismantled the fort, but still used it until 1779. In 1781 Loyalist forces occupied the fort, and partially rebuilt it. The actual site is now located under the western approach to the George Washington Bridge. A reconstruction of the three batteries was undertaken in 1974, and a new visitors' center was completed in 1976.
Bull's Ferry Fort
(1780 - 1783), Hudson Heights
A British palisaded blockhouse that was attacked by Gen. Wayne in 1780.
Paulus Hook Fort
(1776 - 1783), Jersey City
Patriot earthworks were built in 1776, but abandoned before the British, who took them over. The British built a circular redoubt mounting six heavy guns, protected by a ditch and an abatis; a second oblong redoubt armed with four guns; two blockhouses; five lines of breastworks; and three barracks. A magazine was located in the oblong redoubt. This was considered to be the principal western outpost of the British defenses of New York. Patriot forces under Light Horse Harry Lee successfully attacked the garrison in 1779, but had to retreat for fear of immediate reprisals from across the Hudson. The fort was strengthened in 1781. Located in a 15-block area centered at Washington and Sussex Streets.
(Red Bank Battlefield Park)
(1776 - 1777, 1778 - 1781), Red Bank
An earthwork fort with 350-yards of earthen outer works. The Patriots surrendered to the British in 1777, who then abandoned it. The Patriots gained it back in 1778 and rebuilt it. Located across the river from Fort Mifflin, PA. A coastal battery was planned here in 1872.
(thanks to Adam Geibel for providing website)
(1776 - 1777, 1779 - 1781), Billingsport
Also known as Billingsport Redoubt. It protected the cheveaux-de-frise set across the river. It was a 15-acre square earthwork with four corner bastions. It had barracks, officers' quarters, and a bakehouse. The British captured this Patriot defense near Paulsboro in 1777 and destroyed it. After the British left Philadelphia, the Patriots rebuilt the fort. The site is now an oil tank farm.
On the eastern-side of Mantua Creek was the Patriot earthwork Mantua Battery (1777) (no remains).
Tom's River Fort (1)
(1776 - 1777), near Bridgeport ?
Patriot defenses near Philadelphia on the Delaware River.
(Not to be confused with Tom's River Blockhouse (2) on the Atlantic shore.)
(NOTE: This location is not verified.)
(1777, 1778 - 1779), Bound Brook
The 1778 - 1779 winter encampment of part of the Patriot forces. Three earthen redoubts were originally constructed here in 1777, and were used again later. They were 75-feet square and four feet deep, with one gun each, and defended the rear and right flanks of the camp. Only one redoubt remains, and it is said to be the only remaining original earthwork left in the state. Markers at the site on Middlebrook Road.
(info provided by Mike Casale)
(Morristown National Historic Park)
(1777 - 1780), Morristown
A reconstructed (1937) earthwork rumored to have been built merely to keep the soldiers occupied, located on a hill overlooking the town of Morristown. This area was also the 1779 - 1780 winter encampment site of the Continental Army. This National Park includes three other units: Washington's Headquarters (1779 - 1780), Jockey Hollow Encampment Area (1779 - 1780), and the New Jersey Brigade Encampment Area (1779 - 1780).
Blue Hills Post
(1776 - 1777), Plainfield
A Patriot 95-acre encampment guarding the road from Quibbletown (New Market) to Scotch Plains and Springfield.
Tom's River Blockhouse (2)
(1780's), Toms River
A Patriot blockhouse that was attacked and destroyed by Loyalists in 1782.
(Not to be confused with Tom's River Fort (1) on the Delaware River.)
Fort Fox Burrows
(1776 - 1778), Chestnut Neck
A Patriot earthwork fort built to protect the Batsto Ironworks, and a privateering base in Great Bay. Also known as Chestnut Neck Fort. It was never actually armed, and was destroyed by the British in a 1778 raid.
(1780), Old Tappan
The last Patriot encampment site in the mid-atlantic under General Washington, where he was planning the 40,000-man "Grand Assault" on New York City, before marching to Virginia to engage the British army under Cornwallis.
Bergen Neck Fort
(1776 - 1782), Bayonne
Built by Patriot forces in anticipation of a British invasion of New York City through Bergen Neck. The British instead invaded New York City from Long Island. Occupied by British troops in 1777, it was renamed Fort Delancey, also known as the Refugee Post on Bergen Neck. It was attacked several times, but never fell. It was abandoned and destroyed. It was located near Avenue B, 52nd Street, Avenue C, and 51st Street.