Welcome. You have reached my website where you can
- Contact Me for your free-lance writing and editing projects
- Find "Where Things Are: Selected Shorter Plays" by Steven Schutzman http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AI1QP3W ($1.99)The collection gathers fifteen of my best previously produced, published and anthologized plays, 10 to 25 minutes
- Read "The Bank Robbery" a widely anthologized, prize winning
short story The Bank Robbery
- Read "Italy" nominated for a Pushcart Prize, published in "Regional Best 2012" by Level 4 Press, and to be published
in "Best Ten Minute Plays, 2012" by Smith & Kraus.
Here are some recent happenings
- My novella "Pablo, Pablito" published in
its entirety at Eclectica Magazine www.eclectica.org/v17n1/toc.html
- "Where Things Are: Selected Shorter Plays" and "A
Bride At Every Funeral, A Corpse At Every Wedding" now available from Amazon.com
- In February, 2012, I was awarded my sixth Maryland
State Arts Council Individual Artist Grant Award, this one in playwriting.
- "Horizon", flash fiction, published in Sand
#4, Winter, 2011.
- "No Chhhh-anukah in Chhhh-elm", a hilarious Fools
of Chelm play, published by Heuer Publishing http://www.hitplays.com/
- One-act plays "Five More Minutes" and "Chelm
Goes To War" published in anthologies from Ren Hen Press.
- "Italy" performed at Alive Theatre, Long
Beach, CA and and in June, 2011 by StageCrafters, Royal Oak, MI.
- "A Question of Water" winner of the Across
The Generations New Jewish Play Festival. Staged readings at Congregation Dor Hadash, San Diego, CA. July 17 &
- "Normal Is A Country" performed at Circus
Theatricals 15th Annual Festival of New One Act Plays, May 27-June 28, 2010, Los Angeles, CA. http://www.circustheatricals.com/
- "nailing the books shut", a one act, performed
June 19, 2010. Piper Theatre Company, NYC. http://pipertheatre.org
- "Tammy", a one-act, named one of five finalists in
the Eileen Heckart Drama For Seniors Competition, 2009.
- My son Elias' terrfic rock band, The Flying Eyes,
release their first full-length album through Trip in Time Records. They are now on a 6 week, 30 gig, 6 country tour
of Europe. Listen at http://www.myspace.com/theflyingeyes
- My ten minute play "Normal Is A Country"
performed at the 10 by 10 in the Triangle Festival, Carrboro, NC, July, 2009; at Subversive Theatre, Buffalo, NY, May, 2009;
at Rochester Repertory, Rochester, MN, 2008.
- My one-act play "The Weight" performed at the 15th Annual New York
City Fifteen Minute Play Festival, May, 2009; at the Salute Shorts Festival of the Rapscallion Theatre Collective, NYC, May,
2009; and at 517 Playwrights, Lexington, KY, October, 2009.
- Two new plays for young audiences the hilarious "The
Emperor's New Clothes" and "Kidnapped: Persephone in the Underworld" published by Brooklyn Publishing and available
- My children's play "Why Pigs Shouldn't Read Books", winner
of the Multi-Arts.Org Playwriting Competition, 2009.
-My ten minute play "No Talking On The First Date"
performed at Shelterbelt Theatre, Jan-Feb, 2010; at the 2009 International Cringe Festival; and at City Theatre Company, Wilmington,
- "Normal Is A Country" named a finalist in the Actors
Theatre of Louisville National Ten Minute Play Contest, 2008. The play was a winner in the the Longwood University
Ten Minute Play Festival, 2009, which includes publication by One Act Play Depot.
- "Tree Man" performed by Team Venture Productions,
Chicago, April, 2009.
- A short story "War of Choice" published in the new
issue of the venerable Gargoyle (#54).
- A one-act play "Tammy" published in Conclave:
A Journal of Character.