History of the
Major historical dates of interest, in the years
of the Nethryn Reckoning
- 1035 NR: Northlands first explored by Arman
Shaedis. Area regarded as having limited potential for expansion,
subject to adjustment of native population, consisting largely of humanoids
- 1088 NR: Emperor Aedron XII issues the Decree of Revealed
Imperial Destiny, wherein all unclaimed lands bordering on the Draegir Ocean
are claimed in the name of the Nethryn Empire, with incentives to be granted
for the colonization thereof.
- 1096 NR: Under the guidance of Mathis Shaedis, grandson
of Arman, a colony fleet of 15 ships with some 300 brave colonists lands in
Shaedis Bay near the mouth of the Kedris River, and founds Armanton.
Under charter from the Emperor, Mathis becomes the first provincial governor
of the Northlands. Initial contact with native dragonborn is positive,
and they are quickly recruited in various capacities to assist the fledgeling
- 1097 NR: A combined delegation of elves and dwarves
arrives at Armanton, seeking to learn the intentions of the colonists.
After lengthy negotiation, the Northlands Concordance is signed, whereby the
independent territories of Amaelendor (elven) and Dal Ankor (dwarven) are
- 1136 NR: The 47th Legion, newly formed, is assigned to
the Northlands to assist in driving back the humanoid tribes west of the
- 1188 NR: The 15th Legion is assigned to bolster the
expansion effort against the humanoids.
- 1201 NR: Construction begins on Fort Duncliff, the
northernmost point of expansion and a defensive stronghold against the
remaining northern humanoid tribes.
- 1218 NR: Fort Duncliff completed.
- 1252 NR: News reaches Armanton of a massive barbarian
invasion along the eastern borders of the Nethryn Empire. The 15th
Legion is reassigned to defense of the Empire.
- 1253 NR: The 47th Legion is reassigned to defense of the
- 1255 NR: Several ships laden with refugees arrive in
Armanton, reporting the sack of Nethros by barbarians.
- 1317 NR: Increased attacks by kobolds and goblins
succeed in overrunning Thorndale. Governor Margale resigns, and Barakas
Thell is elected the first tiefling governor of the Northlands.
- 1319 NR: The towns of Eastdale and Corringdon are
annihilated, and a large raiding force of hobgoblins successfully breaches the
defenses of Fallcrest, causing serious damage before they are driven back.
- 1320 NR: Under threat of increasingly fierce humanoid
advances, Governor Thell declares an emergency, assuming all ruling
authority under himself in perpetuity, declaring himself King Barakas I.
Martial law is announced, as is the forced conscription of all males "of
warrior age" within the bounds of the Northlands, regardless of race or
nationality. The ambassadors of Amaelendor and Dal Ankor vigorously
protest the conscription of their citizens, and are rebuffed. A number
of prominent objectors to these acts are arrested, executed for treason, and
replaced by tieflings. Andrew Margale, noted military leader and son of
the ex-governor, announces that he has been chosen by a group of Council in
hiding as the new Governor, and vows to free the land from both the humanoids
and the usurper.
- 1321 NR: A force of over 7000 elves and dwarves moves on
Armanton, joining those led by Governor Margale. Caught between
rapacious humanoids and determined freedom fighters, Barakas recalls his
armies to the defense of Armanton. Northgate and Shaediston
are left virtually defenseless, and overrun by humanoids. As freedom
forces prepare to lay siege to Armanton, "King" Barakas is seized by members
of his own guard, and delivered to the Governor's camp. He is imprisoned
awaiting trial, as all remaining warriors are gathered by the Governor to
repel the humanoid armies. After much fierce fighting, they are
successful in stopping humanoid advances, but virtually all land west of the
Kedris has been lost. During the fighting, Barakas Thell escapes prison
with outside aid, and along with many of his co-conspirators is never seen
again. Governor Margale restores properties and offices to their
rightful holders, and initiates trials of captured conspirators, mainly
- 1322 NR: In response to waves of anti-tiefling violence
through the Northlands, Governor Margale declares a general amnesty of any
remaining untried persons, and declares that the rights of all citizens,
including tieflings, shall be vigorously enforced.
- 1437 NR: Current Governor, Tomas Brandhour, takes office.
- 1445 NR: A new wave of humanoid attacks threatens
resettlement efforts on the west bank of the Kedris. A mercenary company
led by Karl Dekker captures the humanoid leader and repulses the attacks; as a
reward for his service, Dekker is named Lord Duncliff.
- 1452 NR: Current year.
Return whence thou came