St. Martin's, Parish Church, stands in the furthest North West Corner of the Winchester Diocese and Deanery of Whitchurch. It is the last parish in Hampshire, although postally Newbury Berkshire. The church nestles at the foot of the Downs, below the highest point of Hampshire, Pilot Hill, which is a little below 1,000 feet. It is believed that there has been a church on the site for at least 1000 years. The parish of St.Martin's East Woodhay is part of the Joint Benefice of East Woodhay and Woolton Hill, the Bishop of Winchester being the patron of the living.
The present church of St.Martin was built in 1823, being late Georgian. It is very light and has splendid acoustics and is therefore frequently used for concerts and for recordings.
There are many hundreds of graves in the St Martin's churchyard dating back to 1546. John Hulbert Surmon and his grandparents Daniel and Charlotte Sheerman are buried here in the "C" section of the graves..