Established 1820's - 1840's (7)

1 St. James [1823] - Cathedral & Jay {4th ward}

2 St. Paul [1838] - Congress & Court {6th ward} POSTCARD
(named St. Peter/St. Paul/Our Lady of Pilar since 1975)

3 Ss. Peter & Paul [1840] - S. 3rd & Wythe {13th ward}
(named St. Mary from 1840-1848 and located at N. 8th & Kent)

4 Most Holy Trinity (German) [1841] - Montrose & Ewen {16th ward} POSTCARD
(titled Holy Trinity until 1918)

5 Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary [1842] - Middagh & Henry {1st ward}
(located at Jay & York until at least 1890)

6 St. Patrick [@1848] - Willoughby & Kent {7th ward}
(named St. Mary until 1856)
(named St. Lucy/St. Patrick since 1974)

7 St. Charles Borromeo [1849] - Sidney & Livingston {1st ward} POSTCARD


Established 1850's (14)

8 xxx St. Francis in the Fields (German) [1850; Closed 1888] - Putnam & Bedford {23rd ward}
(named German Church of the Holy Trinity for a few years after its founding)

9 Holy Cross [1851] - Church & Rogers {off map - East Flatbush}

10 St. John the Evangelist [1851] - 21st & 5th ave {8th ward}

11 xxx St. Benedict (German) [1853; Closed 1973] - Fulton & Ralph {25th ward}

12 St. Joseph [1853] - Pacific & Vanderbilt {9th ward} POSTCARD

13 St. Patrick [1853] - 4th ave & 95th {off map - Fort Hamilton} POSTCARD

14 Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary [1854] - Maujer & Leonard {15th ward}

15 St. Boniface (German) [1854] - Willoughby & Duffield {11th ward}

16 St. Malachy [1854- Van Siclen & Atlantic {off map - East New York} POSTCARD
(titled St. Malachi for a few years after its founding)

17 St. Mary Star of the Sea [1854] - Court & Luquer {12th ward}

18 Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary [1854] - Richards & Verona {12th ward}

19 St. Anthony of Padua [1856] - Manhattan & Milton {17th ward} POSTCARD
(named St. Anthony of Padua/St. Alphonsus since 1975)

20 xxx Our Lady of Mercy [1857; Closed 1930] - Schermerhorn & Bond {3rd ward} POSTCARD
(located at Debevoise & DeKalb until 1908)

21 x St. Peter [1858; Closed 1975] - Hicks & Warren {6th ward} POSTCARD
(named St. Peter/Our Lady of Pilar, 1942-1975)
(merged into St. Peter/St. Paul/Our Lady of Pilar)


Established 1860's (12)

22 xxx St. Ann [1860; Closed 1986] - Front & Gold {5th ward}
(titled St. Anne until 1901)
(merged into St. Ann/St. George, closed 2003)

23 St. Michael (German) [1860] - Jerome & Atlantic {off map - East New York} POSTCARD

24 xxx St. Vincent de Paul [1860; Closed 2004] - N. 6th & Bedford {14th ward}

25 St. Mark [1861] - E. 19th & Shore {off map - Sheepshead Bay}

26 Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (German) [1863] - N. 5th & Havemeyer {14th ward}
(converted to Lithuanian in 1914)

27 St. Nicholas (German) [1866] - Olive & Devoe {18th ward}

28 St. Stephen [1866] - Carroll & Hicks {6th ward} POSTCARD
(named Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary/St. Stephen since 1941)

29 All Saints (German) [1867] - Throop & Thornton {19th ward} POSTCARD

30 Our Lady of Victory [1868] - Throop & McDonough {23rd ward} POSTCARD

31 St. John the Baptist [1868] - Willoughby & Lewis {21st ward} POSTCARD
(named St. Mary Queen of the Isle until 1900)

32 St. Cecilia [1869] - Herbert & N. Henry {18th ward} POSTCARD

33 xx St. Louis (French) [1869; Closed 1939] - Ellery & Nostrand {21st ward}
(located at Siegel & Manhattan until 1889)
(mission 1939-1946 until absorbed by St. Lucy)


Established 1870's (17)

34 St. Augustine [1870] - 6th ave & Sterling {22nd ward} POSTCARD

35 St. Michael [1870] - 42nd & 4th ave {8th ward} POSTCARD

36 St. Rose of Lima [1870] - Parkville & E. 8th {off map - Parkville}

37 Holy Family [1871] - Flatlands & E. 98th {off map - Canarsie} POSTCARD
(the Diocese indicates this church opened in 1883)

38 xx Nativity of Our Blessed Lord [1871; Closed 1973] - Classon & Madison {7th ward}
(absorbed by St. Peter Claver)

39 Our Lady of Lourdes [1871] - DeSales & Broadway {28th ward} POSTCARD
(named St. Francis de Sales until 1900)

40 Sacred Heart [1871] - Adelphi & Park {20th ward}

41 xxx St. Bernard (German) [1871; Closed 1941] - Hicks & Rapelye {6th ward}

42 xx St Leonard of Port Maurice (German) [1871; Closed 1978] - Wilson & Jefferson {28th ward} <database>
(absorbed by St. Joseph Patron)

43 x St. Alphonsus (German) [1873; Closed 1975] - Kent & Manhattan {17th ward}
(merged into St. Anthony of Padua/St. Alphonsus)

44 St. Teresa of Avila [1874] - Sterling & Classon {9th ward} POSTCARD

45 Transfiguration [1874] - Marcy & Hooper {19th ward}

46 x St. Casimir (Polish) [1875; Closed 1980] - Greene & Adelphi {20th ward}
(located at Lawrence & Tillary until 1890)
(merged into Our Lady of Czenstochowa/St. Casimir)

47 Holy Family (German) [1876] - 14th & 4th ave {22nd ward}

48 Holy Name [1878] - Prospect Pk W & Prospect ave {22nd ward}

49 St. Agnes [1878] - Sackett & Hoyt {10th ward} POSTCARD

50 Queen of All Saints [1879] - Vanderbilt & DeKalb {20th ward}
(named St. John's Chapel until 1913)


Established 1880's (17)

51 Guardian Angel [1880] - Ocean Pkwy & Neptune {off map - Coney Island} POSTCARD

52 St Finbar [1880] - Bay 20th & Bath {off map - Bath Beach}
(titled St. Finbarr until 1882)

53 St. Brigid [1882] - Linden & St. Nicholas {28th ward} POSTCARD
(titled St. Bridget until 1895)

54 x St. Ambrose [1883; Closed 1978] - Tompkins & DeKalb {21st ward} POSTCARD
(merged into Our Lady of Montserrate/St Ambrose)

55 St. Thomas Aquinas [1884] - 9th & 4th ave {22nd ward}
(titled St. Thomas of Aquinas until 1895)

56 x Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary (Italian) [1885; Closed 1941] - Degraw & Hicks {6th ward}
(located at President & Van Brunt until ___ )
(merged into Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary/St. Stephen)

57 St. Matthew [1885] - Eastern Pkwy & Utica {24th ward}

58 St. Thomas Aquinas [1885] - Hendricksen & Fillmore {off map - Flatlands}

59 Our Lady of Good Counsel [1886] - Putnam & Ralph {25th ward}

60 St. Francis Xavier [1886] - 6th ave & Carroll {22nd ward} POSTCARD

61 x Fourteen Holy Martyrs (German) [1887; Closed 1976] - Central & Covert {28th ward}
(titled Fourteen Martyrs until 1888)
(merged into St. Martin of Tours/Fourteen Holy Martyrs)

62 Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Italian) [1887] - N. 8th & Union {14th ward}

63 Our Lady of the Presentation [1887] - St. Marks & Rockaway {off map - Brownsville}

64 xx St. Mary of the Angels [1888; Closed 1981] - S. 4th & Roebling {13th ward} POSTCARD
(named St. George from 1888 to 1890 and located at N.10th & Bedford)
(titled St. Mary Queen of Angels until 1900)
(absorbed by Annunciation)

65 Holy Rosary [1889] - Chauncey & Reid {25th ward} POSTCARD

66 xx Our Lady of Sorrows (German) [1889; Closed 1942] - Morgan & Harrison {18th ward} <database>
(absorbed by St. Leonard)

67 St. Mary Mother of Jesus [1889] - 84th & 23rd ave {off map - Bensonhurst}


Established 1890's (15)

68 Blessed Sacrament [1891] - Euclid & Fulton {off map - Cypress Hills} POSTCARD

69 Our Lady of Angels [1891] - 4th ave & 74th {off map - Bay Ridge}

70 St. Edward [1891] - St. Edwards & Leo {11th ward}
(named St. Michael Archangel/St. Edward since 1942)

71 St. Frances de Chantal [1891] - 58th & 13th ave {off map - Borough Park} POSTCARD

72 x St. Michael the Archangel (Italian) [1891; Closed 1942] - Lawrence & Tillary {4th ward}
(merged into St. Michael the Archangel/St. Edward)

73 xx St. Stanislaus Martyr [1891; Closed 1979] - 14th & 6th ave {22nd ward}
(established briefly as a Scandanavian parish)
(absorbed by Holy Family)

74 Our Lady of Czenstochowa (Polish) [1892] - 25th & 4th ave {8th ward}
(named Our Lady of Czenstochowa/St. Casimir since 1980)

75 Immaculate Heart of Mary [1893] - Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & E 4th {off map - Windsor Terrace} POSTCARD

76 Our Lady of Loreto (Italian) [1893] - Sackman & Pacific {off map - Brownsville}

77 Our Lady of Perpetual Help [1893] - 59th & 5th ave {off map - Sunset Park} POSTCARD

78 St. Barbara (German) [1893] - Bleecker & Central {28th ward} POSTCARD

79 St. Stanislaus Kostka (Polish) [1896] - Humboldt & Driggs {17th ward} POSTCARD

80 x St. Francis of Assisi [1897; Closed 1980] - Lincoln Rd. & Nostrand {off map - East Flatbush}
(merged into St. Francis of Assisi/St. Blaise)

81 Ss. Simon & Jude [1897] - Van Sicklen &  Ave. T {off map - Gravesend}

82 Our Lady of Peace (Italian) [1899] - Carroll & 4th ave {10th ward}


Established 1900's (24)

83 Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei (Italian) [1900] {on map - Williamsburg}

84 Our Lady of Solace [1900]

85 xxx Sacred Heart [1900; Closed 1942] {off map - Barren Island}
(the Diocese indicates this church opened in 1908)
(named St. Andrew until 1910)

86 St. Rocco (Italian) [1900] {on map - Sunset Park}
(titled St. Roch until 1968)

87 St. Gabriel the Archangel [1901] POSTCARD
(titled St. Gabriel until 1984)

88 St. Jerome [1901]

89 St. John Cantius (Polish) [1901]
(titled St. John of Kenty until 1905)

90 St. Catherine of Alexandria [1902]

91 St. Rosalia-Regina Pacis (Italian) [1902]
(titled St. Rosalia until 1963)

92 Holy Family (Slovakian) [1903] {on map - Greenpoint}
(services held in St. Vincent de Paul until 1911)

93 Our Lady of Charity (Italian) [1903]

94 x St. Lucy (Italian) [1904; Closed 1974] {on map - Bedford-Stuyvesant}
(merged into St. Lucy/St. Patrick)

95 Epiphany [1905] {on map - Williamsburg}

96 St. Blaise (Italian) [1905]
(named St. Francis of Assisi/St. Blaise since 1980)

97 St. Gregory the Great [1905]

98 St. Savior [1905] {on map - Park Slope}

99 Our Lady of Guadalupe [1906]

100 St. Martin of Tours [1906]
(named St. Martin of Tours/Fourteen Holy Martyrs since 1976)

101 St. Brendan [1907]

102 xx St. Columbkille [1908; Closed 1939] {on map - Greenpoint} POSTCARD
(mission 1939-1950 until absorbed by Ss. Cyril & Methodius)

103 St. Ignatius [1908]

104 Holy Innocents [1909] POSTCARD

105 Our Lady of Consolation (Polish) [1909] {on map - Williamsburg}

106 xxx St. George (Lithuanian) [1909; Closed 2003] {on map - Downtown}
(services held in St. Ann until 1914)
(named St. Ann/St. George since 1986)


Established 1910's (10)

107 Our Lady of Refuge [1911]

108 St. Catherine of Genoa [1911]

109 St. Agatha [1912]

110 St. Athanasius [1913]

111 St. Rita (Italian) [1913]

112 x Our Lady of Pilar (Spanish) [1916; Closed 1935] {on map - Fort Greene}
(services held in St. Bernard, 1935-1941)
(merged into St. Peter/Our Lady of Pilar, 1942)
(building renamed "St. John's Chapel" and run as mission, 1935-1981)

113 Ss. Cyril & Methodius (Polish) [1917] {on map - Greenpoint}

114 St. Francis of Paola (Italian) [1918] {on map - Williamsburg}

115 Holy Spirit [1919]
(named Holy Ghost until 1981)

116 St. Fortunata (Italian) [1919] POSTCARD


Established 1920's (14)

117 St. Margaret Mary Alacoque [1920] POSTCARD

118 St. Peter Claver (Negro) [1920] {on map - Bedford-Stuyvesant}

119 St. Ephrem [1921]

120 St. Joseph Patron of the Universal Church (Italian) [1921]

121 St. Anselm [1922]

122 St. Edmund [1922]

123 St. Sylvester [1923]

124 St. Vincent Ferrer [1923]

125 Resurrection [1924]

126 St. Therese of Lisieux [1926]

127 Good Shepherd [1927]

128 Mary Queen of Heaven [1927]

129 Our Lady Help of Christians [1927]

130 Most Precious Blood (Italian) [1927]


Established 1930's (3)

131 Our Lady of Grace (Italian) [1935]

132 St. Bernadette (Italian) [1935]

133 Our Lady of Miracles (Italian) [1936]


Established 1960's + (9)

134 Our Lady of Mercy [1961]

135 St. Bernard [1961]

136 St. Jude [1961]

137 St. Frances Cabrini [1963]

138 St. Laurence [1964]

139 Our Lady of Montserrate [1965] {on map - Bedford-Stuyvesant}
(named Our Lady of Montserrate/St. Ambrose since 1978)

140 St. Columba [1967]

141 St. Andrew the Apostle [1972]

142 St. Dominic [1972]


Additional Changes:

[January 2007]
Ss. Peter &Paul
and Epiphany became Ss. Peter & Paul {Williamsburg}
St. Martin of Tours-14 Holy Martyrs and Our Lady of Lourdes became St. Martin of Tours {Bushwick}
St. John the Baptist and Our Lady of Good Counsel became St. John the Baptist {Bedford-Stuyvesant}

[September 2007]
St. Michael
and St. Malachy became St. Michael/St. Malachy {East New York}
St. Gabriel the Archangel and St. John Cantius became Mary Mother of the Church {East New York}
Our Lady of Victory and Holy Rosary and St. Peter Claver became St. Martin de Porres {Bedford-Stuyvesant}
Most Holy Trinity and Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary became Most Holy Trinity/St. Mary {Williamsburg}
St. Peter/St. Paul/Our Lady of Pilar and St. Agnes became St. Paul/St. Agnes {Carroll Gardens}

[January 2008]
Sacred Heart
and St. Michael the Archangel-St. Edward became Mary of Nazareth {Fort Greene}
All Saints and Our Lady of Montserrate-St. Ambrose became All Saints {Williamsburg}

(The Diocese claims that in most cases, both church buildings will remain open, but that remains to be seen. These changes are not yet noted in the main list above.)


Notes:

25 of the 142 churches are now closed:
x = Closed and merged into another parish
xx = Closed and absorbed by another parish
xxx = Closed permanently (records are at Chancery)

(Nationality) = Nationality of the church when established. Those not specifically marked with a nationality were generally Irish. The practice of having separate national parishes faded over time.

[1800] = Date of establishment taken from the "History of the Diocese of Brooklyn" by Sharp, which apparently indicates when a church was opened for worship. (Although in some cases it seems Sharp considered a parish established merely when the land was originally secured, or the first visiting pastor assigned to the area.)
     The more recent "Priests and Parishes of the Diocese of Brooklyn" by Culkin gives multiple dates for each church, with the most relevant date for obtaining records either the "dedication of a mission chapel within the boundaries of an already existing parish", or the "bishop appointing the first permanently resident pastor of that newly formed parish". Dates from Sharp's book which differ from the most relevant date cited in Culkin's book are marked in italics. (All differences are 5 years or less, except for 2 churches noted above.)
     For the sake of completeness, dates of establishment for the earliest churches as recorded by Stiles and Mulrenan are also provided below.

Street & CrossStreet = Street where the church is located and the nearest cross-street.

{Ward} = Ward where the church was located in 1898 when Brooklyn became part of New York City.

{off map / on map - Neighborhood} = "off map" indicates the church is outside the boundaries of the old City of Brooklyn and is not marked on the map. "on map" indicates the church was founded after 1899 and is inside the boundaries of the old City of Brooklyn (although its position is not yet marked on the map). "Neighborhood" is determined by the present-day boundaries delineated in "The Neighborhoods of Brooklyn" by Kenneth T. Jackson and John. B. Manbeck, 1998.


Sources and Links:

R.C. Diocese of Brooklyn

R.C. Diocese of Brooklyn Cemeteries

R.C. Diocese of Brooklyn Archives (info about it holdings)

N.Y. State Catholic Churches (lists mailing addresses)

MapQuest.com (for determining cross-streets)

Brooklyn Genealogy Information Page (superb genealogical website)

"Catholic Churches and Institutions in Brooklyn" by Henry Stiles, 1869

"Sketch of the Catholic Church on Long Island" by Patrick Mulrenan, 1871

"The Catholic Encyclopedia", 1907

"History of the Diocese of Brooklyn" by John K. Sharp, 1954

"Priests and Parishes of the Diocese of Brooklyn" (3rd edition) by Harry M. Culkin, 1990

"Diocese of Immigrants: The Brooklyn Catholic Experience", 2004


Compiled By: Tim Desmond
Text Last Revised: 2/22/08
Postcards Last Revised: 4/15/07