A Brief Historical Sketch of the Catholic Church on Long Island
by Patrick Mulrenan, 1871
Professor of Rhetoric, Literature and Languages in St. Francis' College
"Within forty years the Catholics of Brooklyn have increased in number from one thousand to one hundred and fifty thousand; indeed, during the last fifteen years, their progress is unprecedented in this country, if New York may be excepted. It is a mistake to suppose that because this sketch is brief it cost me little labor. I could have written a book of six hundred pages during the time I have spent turning over the files of the Herald, and other journals, to find the dates I have given in the first and second chapters of this little volume. The date of dedication of a church, whether built of wood, brick, or marble, should be preserved with jealous care by Catholics, because it is the House of God."
1 St. James - "On the 2nd of March  eight lots were purchased at the corner of Jay and Chappel streets for seven hundred dollars. Of this sum four hundred dollars were paid in cash, and three hundred secured by mortgage. On the 25th of April the ground was blessed by the Rev. Patrick Bulger. The work of building the new church was at once vigorously commenced... On the 28th of August, 1823, St. James' Church was dedicated to divine worship by the Most Rev. Bishop Connolly, assisted by the Rev. Dr. Power, Vicar-General of New York."
2 St. Paul - "In 1836 Cornelius Heaney offered a suitable site in Court street as a donation for a new church, and St. Pauls's was commenced under the direction of James Harper. The building was soon completed, and the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Dubois, the third Bishop of New York."
3 Ss. Peter & Paul - "Rev. James O'Donnell officiated occasionally in Williamsburgh. Mainly through his efforts St. Mary's old Church was built in 1841, and placed under his charge. In 1844 he was succeded by the Rev. Sylvester Malone who, without delay, resolved to build a church that would be an ornament to Williamsburgh. He received the hearty co-operation of his parisioners and on Sunday, the 8th of May, 1848, the Church of SS. Peter and Paul was consecrated by the Right Rev. Bishop Hughes."
4 Most Holy Trinity - "In 1841, [Rev.
John Raffeiner] purchased a site in Montrose avenue, and erected a building
at his own expense. The new church was called the Church of the Most Holy
Trinity.... The little church became too small to accomodate the German
population in Williamsburgh. A larger one was required, a subscription-list
was opened, and on the 29th of June, 1853, the corner-stone of the present
Church of the Holy Trinity was laid by the Rt. Rev. Archbishop Hughes....
On the 25th of February, 1854, the Church of the Most Holy Trinity, Williamsburg,
was dedicated by Bishop Loughlin."
5 Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - "On the 10th day of June, 1842, [Archbishop Hughes] dedicated the Church of the Assumption at the corner of York and Jay streets. This church was commenced a few years previously by Father Farnan, at a time when he was under ecclesiastical censure. It was his intention to establish it as an independent Catholic church, but, as might be expected, the attempt was a failure. In 1841, the Rev. David Bacon completed the building, and it was dedicated in 1842."
6 St. Patrick - "The corner-stone of the Church of St. Patrick, corner of Kent and Willoughby avenues, was laid on the 5th of November, 1854, and the church was dedicated to divine worship on the 17th of August, 1856, by Bishop Loughlin. The erection of this church was undertaken by Rev. Hugh Maguire, its first pastor. Previous to its erection, Mass was celebrated for a few years in a little church purchased from the Methodists. It was enlarged by Father Maguire, and afterwards converted into a school-house."
7 St. Charles Borromeo - "The Church
of St. Charles Borromeo, Sidney Place, was an Episcopal Church when the
Catholics purchased it in 1849... At the close of the year 1850 the church
was dedicated to Catholic worship...
On the 8th of March, 1868, the historic old Church of St. Charles Borromeo, corner of Sydney place and Livingston street, was destroyed by fire. The pastor, Rec. Dr. Freel, immediately purchased seven lots of ground on the north-east corner of Sydney place and Livingston street, and the corner-stone of the new church was laid on the 12th of July, 1868; it was dedicated on the 23d of May, 1869, by Bishop Loughlin."
8 St. Francis in the Fields - "St. Francis' (German) Church was opened in 1857, by Rev. Boneventure Keller, who attended it for two years."
9 Holy Cross - "Holy Cross Church, in Flatbush, was opened and blessed in the month of July, 1852."
10 St. John the Evangelist - "St. John's Church, Gowanus, was opened for divine service in 1850. The first pastor was the Rev. Peter McLaughlin, through whose zeal and energy the church was built."
11 St. Benedict
12 St. Joseph - "St. Joseph's Church, Pacific street, near Vanderbilt avenue, was blessed on the 17th of April, 1853, by the Rt. Rev. Archbishop Hughes... St. Joseph's Church, corner of Pacific street and Vanderbilt Avenue, enlarged and beautified, was dedicated on the 17th of March, 1861, by Bishop Loughlin. The length and breadth of the old church was more than doubled."
13 St. Patrick - "St. Patrick's Church, Fort Hamilton, was erected by Rev. Peter McLaughlin, and blessed by Archbishop Hughes, towards the close of the year 1850. Mass was occasionally celebrated before this date in a small room in the house of an old Catholic family in Fort Hamilton."
14 Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary - "The Church of the Immaculate Conception, corner of Leonard and Remsen streets, [was dedicated] on the 29th of October, ."
15 St. Boniface
16 St. Malachy - "St. Malachi's Church, East New York, [was dedicated] on the 9th of April, 1854."
17 St. Mary Star of the Sea - "The corner-stone of St. Mary's, Star of the Sea, corner of Court and Luqueer streets, was laid on the 17th of July, 1854, and the church was blessed on the 29th of April, 1855, by Rt. Rev. Bishop Bacon."
18 Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary - "The Church of the Visitation was dedicated on the 5th of August, 1855... The corner-stone of the new Church of the Visitation was laid on the 27th of November, 1870."
19 St. Anthony of Padua - "The corner-stone of St. Antony's Church, Green Point, was laid on the 21st of December, 1856, by Bishop Loughlin, who preached on the occasion to a very large meeting of Catholics, who felt joyous that the first church in Green Point was in the state of erection."
20 Our Lady of Mercy - "The new Church of Our Lady of Mercy, Debevoisie street, near De Kalb avenue, was dedicated on the 7th of February, 1869, by Bishop Loughlin."
21 St. Peter - "The corner-stone of St. Peter's Church, corner of Hicks and Warren streets, was laid on the 4th of September, 1859, and the church was solemnly dedicated to divine worship by Bishop Loughlin, on the 4th of November, 1860."
22 St. Ann - "The corner-stone of St. Anne's Church, corner of Front and Gold, was blessed on the 21st of October, 1860, by Bishop Loughlin."
23 St. Michael
24 St. Vincent de Paul - "The old church of St. Vincent DePaul was dedicated on the 11th of November, 1860, by Bishop Loughlin. It waa formerly a Presbyterian church... The corner-stone of the [new] Church of St. Vincent De Paul was laid on the 17th of July, 1868. The church was dedicated on the 17th of Ocober, 1869 by Bishop Loughlin."
25 St. Mark - "St. Mark's Church was erected in 1868, by the Rev. James Moran."
26 Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary - "The new German Church of the Annunciation, corner of North Fifth and Seventh streets, dedicated by Bishop Loughlin, on the 6th of November, 1870."
27 St. Nicholas - "St. Nicolas' German
Church, corner of Olive and Powers streets, was dedicated on the 13th of
28 St. Stephen - "St. Stephen's Church, Carroll street, was dedicated on the 15th of July, 1866. It was originally built and occupied by the Episcopalians, from whom it was purchased by Rev. A. Dorris."
29 All Saints - "The German Church of All Saints, corner of Throop avenue and Thronton street, was dedicated by Bishop Loughlin, on the 27th of December, 1867."
30 Our Lady of Victory - "The Church of Our Lady of Victory, Throop avenue, between Macon and McDonough streets, was dedicated on the 26th of July 1868. The pastor, Father Creighton, has already commenced to build a new church."
31 St. John the Baptist - "The Church of St. John the Baptist, Willoughby avenue, between Lewis and Stuyvesant streets, was dedicated by Bishop Loughlin, on the 29th of August, 1869."
32 St. Cecilia
33 St. Louis - "St. Louis' French Church, corner of Ewen and McKibban streets, was dedicated on the 18th of July, 1869."
34 St. Augustine - "On the 6th of November 1870...the corner-stone of St. Augustine's Church, corner of Fifth Avenue and Bergen street, was blessed by Rev. John Turner, Vicar-General of the Diocese."
35 St. Michael
36 St. Rose of Lima - "On the 27th of November, 1870...the Church of St. Rose of Lima, in Greenfield, was solemnly dedicated by Bishop Loughlin."