All in all I'd say the effort was a success. I did learn several things
- Install your couplers early. I chose to wait until the end (I didn't have a height gauge when
I started) and that made the job that much more difficult. This kit is designed for proper operation and prototypical
appearence. Install your couplers in the endbeam and make final adjustment with shims and washers when the kit is complete-
It will be really close at that point.
- I tried several different trucks on this model, based on what I had on hand and found a wide degree of operability.
For a prototype model such as this I would recommend sticking to the prototypical trucks for the model.
- I had problems with the nylon line supplied for the truss rods. It sagged over time- My original concern
was that it would be to tight and hump the car. That turned out not to be the case. The line looks better than
wire, I just need to fine tune the installation.
- For aging the deck I used a dilute solution of Apple Barrel Acrylics, black and a little brown, and soaked
the planking overnight. I would let it dry a couple of days(48hrs+) before installation though- I didn't wait long enough(24hrs)
and had some shrinkage after installation.
- Lastly, the decals are ancient and need to be replaced. Once I find a new dealer I'll fix that problem
and move on to weathering.