McBride Family Information

Home

new1.gif

From the History of Butler County
( Waterman & Westerman )
1 8 8 3

" Alexander McBride is credited with having erected the first flouring-mill in this section in the year 1827.  It was a frame structure and had two run of common stone.  It is authoritatively stated that this mill did a flourishing business for twenty-five years before it was abandoned."

alexyoung01.jpg

      " Alexander McBride was a native of Emerald Isle.  He emigrated when eighteen in * 1820.  He located along Slippery Rock Creek and for many years devoted his time to School-teaching.  He bore the appellation of "The Irish Schoolmaster".  The first grist mill was erected and operated within the present limits of this township and was erected and operated by Mr. McBride.  Soon after he got the grist mill in operation, he attached a saw-mill and in connection with the mill operated it for years until 1850.  He was a prominent man in the township in educational matters and in business enterprises.  He filled the office of Justice of the Peace for several terms.  He died in * 1879, leaving a family of * eight children, viz., Rebecca J., who is Mrs. Amaziah Kelly of this township; Alexander, a resident of Harlansburg; Thomas, living in New Castle; Mrs. Samuel Gill, of Muddy Creek; William, of this place; George D. of Gallipolis, Ohio.  William McBride before mentioned, enlisted as a solier in Company "J", 103rd Regiment, Penna. Vol. and served during the war.  His wife was Elizabeth taylor, daughter of George Taylor, who became a resident of this county in 1830."

Author's Note:
    * 1820 - actual birth year is 1795 - arrival would be in 1813
    * 1879 - actual death year is 1878
    *  Alexander and His wife Mary Armstrong actually had nine children - only six are mentioned
      Grandfather McBride's brothers and sisters ( in Ireland )
            Rebecca, Jane, William
Family stories passed through the generations say that he had more brothers and sisters - but there are no actual documents or confirmation of this fact.

Another Old History account for
 
Alexander McBride, ESQ. (1839-78)
 
Born Dec. 20, 1795, a native of Ireland, Emigrated in 1820. Married Mary Armstrong, daughter of David and Sarah (Harris) Armstrong, May 20, 1820. She was born June 25, 1795, and died April 21, 1847. They purchased a farm near London, Mercer County, where they resisded four years. Then they purchased a part of the old Armstrong farm, which laid on both sides of the present Slippery Rock road, the old homestead being the present Boyd farm, near the Cooper cement block plant. The McBride tract also laid on both sides of the present Slippery Rock road, the home being on the north side of the road and sotheast of a spring in the field between the present Boyd and Cooper homes. Some say the home was a log house, but Mr. Crocker, a nearby resident, says that it was a frame dwelling. A barn and a blacksmith shop were on the south side3 of the road. After locating on this tract, Mr. McBride devoted his time to school teaching and milling. He bore the appellation of the "Irish Schoolmatsre." The first grist and flour mill erected and operated within the present limits of Worth Township was erected by Mr. McBride in 1827. It was a frame structure and had two run of common stone. Soon after he got the gristmill in operation, he attached a saw mill, and did a flourishing business for some 25 years until 1850. His mill was located along the Slippery Rock Creek by the bridge near the present Cooper gravel washing plant. Tradition says that the foundation of the present bridge was part of the old mill. Mr. McBride was a prominent man in the township in educational matters and in business enterprises, and filled the office of Justice of the Peace for several terms. Kept store at Harlansburg for several years during the latter part of his life. Ordained elder Sept. 26, 1839, and served for 39 years. Died Oct. 17, 1878, leaving a family of nine children: David Armstorng (m. Elizabeth Struthers), Rebecca Jane, (m. Amaziah Kelly), Alexander Jr. (Harlansburg), Thomas (m. Eliza Winans), Sarah Ann (m. Samuel Gill), William (m. Eliza Taylor), Robert Munson (m. Sarah Jane Martin), George Dennison (m. Annie Stevens), and Samuel J. (m. Mary D. Cotton). Samuel J. McBride lived in the East Brook area (buried at Rich Hill) and had a son, Edward A., who married Lydia Ada Allison, they were the parents of Ralph Allison McBride, who married Margaret Book, daughter of Leander Moore and Sarah Catherine Davis Book.

new1.gif

back01.gif

Return to McBride Decendancy In Pictures W/ Spouses

new1.gif