Lake Pearl was originally known as Whitings' Pond, after the Whiting family, which operated a mill there starting in
the late 17th century.
During the mid-19th century, the George family purchased land east of the lake and ran a park there; known as George's
Park it attracted people from all over the area.
In 1885 William Enegren, who owned and operated a bakery business in Franklin, used monies from the sale of land and
building of the Franklin establishment to purchase George's Park and relocated his buiness there to sell to summer visitors.
William's daughter Pearl, who was just a toddler, died shortly after moving to Wrentham. He renamed the park Lake Pearl
Park in her honor.
Lake Pearl Park was known to all who visited, as a place with high tall pine trees, coconut cakes and refreshments including
ice cream that was made from ice that had been cut from the lake in winter and stored in the ice house till the start of summer.
In its first year of operation an outing was held on Labor Day and the start of outings to Lake Pearl Park had begun.
By 1910 many changes had taken place, a large 40 ft. power launch, a merry-go-round, boats and canoes, a 500 seat dining
pavilion, a dance pavilion, the first outdoor silent movies and a bathing beach. People came from near and far to visit
the park. The park was serviced by the New York and New Hampshire Railroad, and the Milford, Attleboro & Woonsocket
Street Railway Co. ran a streetcar to the park.
By 1920, the war being over, events changed again and business was on an upswing. Admission was now charged for
the dance hall and park. Autos and trucks replaced streetcars and refrigeration ended the era of the icehouse.
In the 1930's and 40's dancing was at it's hightest. The ballroom at the park attracted famous big bands, including
Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller and even Frank Sinatra.
The Hurricane of 1938 really became the start of the present Lake Pearl Park. The loss of many trees opened up
to sunshine where there had never been any. Grass grew, flowers were cultivated and a new type of park was in the making.
The park was sold in 1998 to the new owner Mr. Joseph Lorusso and family and now is called Lake Pearl Lucianos.
Mr. Lorusso made many improvements to the grounds and ballroom. A Victorian tent by the lake is used for outings.
The dance terrace was replaced with walkways and fountains, and a vast array of flowers has been planted throught the property.
Weddings are still the most popular event at Lake Pearl along with corporate meetings and social events.