The Thomas family may have come from Wales or England or even possibly Germany. Some went to Somerset, Pennsylvania and some went to Cambria County, Pennsylvania in the 1700's. From the History of East Providence Township in Pennsylvania, Isaac Thomas was of German descent. He came to Fulton County from Adams County, with his father, Peter Thomas, when he was five years of age, this would make it about 1829. Peter is buried at Big Cove Tannery. Mbr>
Descendants of Peter Thomas
Generation No. 1
1. PETER1 THOMAS He married MARTHA *UNKNOWN Abt. 1818 in Adams County, PA.
Child of PETER THOMAS and MARTHA *UNKNOWN is:
2. i. ISAAC M.2 THOMAS, b. February 15, 1824, Adams County, Pa; d. September 03, 1908, Rays Hill, Bedford County, PA. aged 84y 6m 18d.
Generation No. 2
ISAAC M.2 THOMAS (PETER1) was born
February 15, 1824 in Adams County, Pa, and died September 03, 1908 in Rays
Hill, Bedford County, PA. aged 84y 6m 18d. He married MARGARET HIMES September
26, 1848, daughter of JOHN HIMES and MARTHA DOLBOW. She was born December 17, 1827 in McConnelsburg, Pa
(Fulton Co), and died April 01, 1896 in Ray's Hill,
Notes for ISAAC M. THOMAS:
From "The History of East Providence Township, PA" ----We believe Isaac Thomas was of German descent. He came to Fulton County with his father, Peter Thomas, when five years of age. In 1849, Isaac came to Ray's Hill, where he followed various kinds of work for two years then entered the tannery of John Nycum, in which he worked 14 years. In 1861, he enlisted and served until the close of the war. Upon returning from the army, he was foreman of the J. B. Hoyt & Co., Tannery at Ray's Hill. A Map from the 1877 Atlas showing this areea and Ray's hill, suggesteds the tannery was a short way down the dirt road beside and behind the Lutheran Church and Cemetery in Breezewood, PA. Isaac was listed as the Superintendent of the Tannery. Mr Thomas married Margaret Himes. They had 8 children."
Will Page 159
Extract from Will of Isaac Thomas late of E. Providence TWP. Dated July 29, 1907. Probated September 10, 1908. Decedent died September 3, 1908.
In the name of God Amen! I, Isaac Thomas of Breezewood, Bedford County, Penna. Farmer. Being in poor health of body, but of sound mind and memory, do make and declare this to be my last will and testament in manner following sig: first, I order that all my just debts, funeral expenses and .....I give and Bequeth to my son J. F. Thomas my eight day clock, my bureau and all my carpenter tools and work bench, and my shoemaker tools and to my son I. N. Thomas I give and bequeath my army record Picture, my copper kettle, my family bible and two coulered blankets and to my daughter Mary Ann Van Horn I give and bequeath on new quilt, the leaf (pattern?) and to my son Andrew L Thomas, I give and bequeath my Looking glass and to my daughter Susan Alice fletcher one of my new quilts, the Irish Chain (pattern?) and to my son William H. Thomas I give and bequeath one of my white blankets and to my son Charles A. Thomas, I give and bequeath one Bed Spread and to my daughter in law Sarah Thomas I give and bequeath my Bed and Bed Sheets to include one white blanket, one of my new quilts and sufficient to make a good bed, my Big rocker and my little rocker and my other chairs and the Big Picture and that of his late wifes Picture, the kitchen corner cupboard, and the box that they ketp the ironed clothes in and as to the rest mentioned above I order that it be equally divided between my heirs by my Executor and as to any moneys or credits that I may have at my death after payment as above is made, I order that my Executor equally divide the same amongst my heirs as mentioned above. Except my son Andrew S. Thomas who has already got Thirty-Two dollars of his share ($32.00) this is to come out of his share and I hereby nominate constitute and appoint - J. F. Thomas and I. N. Thomas as Executors of this my last Will and Testament in witness whereof I the said testator Isaac Thomas have in their presence set my hand and seal this 29th day of July A. D. 1907.
Isaac Thomas (Seal)
We the undersigned witnesses in his presence and at his request have subscribed our names as witnesses to this the last - will and testament of Isaac Thomas and saw him sign his name to this will.
Witnesses Rush Nycum (seal)
L... H. Figard (seal)
Bedford County, ...
Personally appeard before me....etc...
More About ISAAC M. THOMAS:
Burial: Lutheran Cem.,
Military: Bet. 1861 - 1864, Served in Army during the Civil War. Co. C. Reg. PA. Vol.
Note: Abt. 1829, Moved to Fulton County with his father.
Occupation: Worked in a tannery, and was Superintendant
More About MARGARET HIMES:
Note: Was she a sister of Susannah and Samuel buried in the Mt Zion Church Cemetery at Breezewood, PA?
Children of ISAAC THOMAS and MARGARET HIMES are:
i. SAMUEL WARNER3 THOMAS, b. September 20, 1849; d. February 27, 1852.
3. ii. JOHN FRANKLIN THOMAS, b. August 08, 1851; d. August 23, 1926.
4. iii. ISAAC NEWTON THOMAS, b. June 18, 1854; d. March 13, 1914.
5. iv. MARY ANN THOMAS, b. September 27, 1856; d. September 17, 1924.
6. v. ANDREW LOGAN
THOMAS, b. September 23, 1860; d. February 23, 1942,
vi. EUTOKA PHOEBA HIMES, b. August 15, 1862; d. October 23, 1936.
vii. SUSAN ALICE THOMAS, b. October 24, 1863; d. April 25, 1942; m. FLETCHER FILLER.
More About SUSAN ALICE THOMAS:
Note: Large Family
More About FLETCHER FILLER:
Resided: Parsons, WV
viii. WILLIAM HENRY THOMAS, b. March 26, 1867; d. May 01, 1935; m. DELILAH FOOR.
7. ix. CHARLES ALBERT THOMAS, b. March 11, 1870, Bedford County, PA; d. April 23, 1949, Osceola Mills, PA (Clearfield County).
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN FRANKLIN3 THOMAS (ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born August 08, 1851, and died August 23, 1926. He married SARAH *UNKNOWN.
More About JOHN FRANKLIN THOMAS:
Note: Two children
More About SARAH *UNKNOWN:
Children of JOHN THOMAS and SARAH *UNKNOWN are:
i. TRACY4 THOMAS.
ii. MARGARET THOMAS, m. OSCAR JOHNSON.
4. ISAAC NEWTON3 THOMAS (ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born June 18, 1854, and died March 13, 1914. He married AMANDA *UNKNOWN.
Children of ISAAC THOMAS and AMANDA *UNKNOWN are:
i. ROY4 THOMAS.
ii. EMERY THOMAS.
5. MARY ANN3 THOMAS (ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born September 27, 1856, and died September 17, 1924. She married *UNKNOWN VAN HORN.
Child of MARY THOMAS and *UNKNOWN VAN HORN is:
i. VERGIE4 VAN HORN, m. MURRAY PEE.
6. ANDREW LOGAN3 THOMAS (ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born September 23, 1860, and died February 23, 1942 in Breezewood, PA. He married JENNIE NYCUM.
Child of ANDREW THOMAS and JENNIE NYCUM is:
i. GEORGE4 THOMAS.
7. CHARLES ALBERT3 THOMAS (ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born March 11, 1870 in Bedford County, PA, and died April 23, 1949 in Osceola Mills, PA (Clearfield County). He married LAUVINA CORA (CORA LOUVINA) PECK July 02, 1890, daughter of SIMON PECK and MARY GIFFIN. She was born May 04, 1873 in Ray's Hill, Bedford County, PA, and died April 07, 1932 in Osceola Mills, PA.
More About CHARLES ALBERT THOMAS:
Note: A skilled Carpenter
More About LAUVINA CORA (CORA LOUVINA) PECK:
Note: Family Bible lists her name as Lauvina C. Peck
Children of CHARLES THOMAS and LAUVINA PECK are:
8. i. LILLY OLIVE4
THOMAS, b. January 05, 1891, Breezewood, PA; d. June 13, 1970,
ii. ORVILLE ESCO THOMAS, b. February 09, 1893; d. February 21, 1923.
More About ORVILLE ESCO THOMAS:
Military: Merchant Marines; Served WWI
9. iii. MARGARET
LEOTA THOMAS, b. March 23, 1896, Osceola Mills, PA; d. March 20, 1973,
10. iv. ISAAC FERN
THOMAS, b. January 06, 1898, Osceola Mills, PA; d. October 11, 1979, Potomac
v. CHARLES LAWRENCE THOMAS, b. August 24, 1901; d. May 04, 1964; m. CLARA MAY EMERICK; b. June 25, 1899; d. May 05, 1967.
More About CHARLES LAWRENCE THOMAS:
Note: At least two children, a daughter and a son.
11. vi. KERMIT EARL THOMAS, b. July 09, 1904; d. October 26, 1995.
vii. WILLIAM WARNER THOMAS, b. March 24, 1907; d. March 31, 1907.
12. viii. MARY ALICE THOMAS, b. January 04, 1910.
ix. JOHN ALLEN THOMAS, b. August 17, 1919; d. March 21, 1994; m. DOROTHY LIEBNITZ.
Generation No. 4
8. LILLY OLIVE4 THOMAS (CHARLES ALBERT3, ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born January 05, 1891 in Breezewood, PA, and died June 13, 1970 in Hollidaysburg, PA. She married (1) NORMAN A. SALKELD, son of JOHN SALKELD and MIRANDA BLACKBURN. He was born September 16, 1885, and died January 15, 1948. She married (2) YVES HORELLOU 1953.
More About NORMAN A. SALKELD:
Burial: Mt. Zion, Cem.;
Children of LILLY THOMAS and NORMAN SALKELD are:
i. JOHN A.5 SALKELD, b. October 03, 1910.
ii. RUSSELL LYNN SALKELD, b. March 18, 1915; d. June 29, 1984; m. DORIS REBECCA HELSEL; b. October 13, 1916; d. June 16, 2000.
More About DORIS REBECCA HELSEL:
iii. BETTY LOU SALKELD, b. August 07, 1921, Breezewood, PA; d. September 06, 1989, Altoona, Blair co., PA; m. (1) SAMUEL MELLOTT; m. (2) OTHO WALTERS.
More About SAMUEL MELLOTT:
MARGARET LEOTA4 THOMAS (CHARLES
ALBERT3, ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born March 23, 1896 in Osceola Mills, PA, and
died March 20, 1973 in Philipsburg, PA. She married GRANT T. SMITH. He was born September 02, 1893, and died June 08,
Children of MARGARET THOMAS and GRANT SMITH are:
i. MARGARET VIOLA5 SMITH, b. November 09, 1916; d. January 1998; m. FAY MILLER.
ii. RUSSELL EARL SMITH, b. November 15, 1918; d. March 28, 1992; m. MABLE PATERSON.
iii. INFANT DAUGHTER SMITH, b. April 1923; d. April 1923, At Birth.
iv. RUTH ALICE SMITH, b. December 03, 1924; d. April 25, 1979; m. THEODORE DIXON.
v. CHARLES CLAYTON SMITH, b. July 26, 1925; d. April 03, 1996; m. BRUNA CICCI, Italy; b. Italy.
More About CHARLES CLAYTON SMITH:
vi. EDWARD SMITH, b. January 21, 1928; d. February 14, 1962; m. JULIA HOUDESHELL.
vii. JAMES KEIFER SMITH, m. MARY KRESS.
viii. JANET MARIE SMITH, b. April 22, 1933; m. (1) ROBERT GREEN; b. Unknown; m. (2) ROY E. MIGH.
ix. ROBERT SMITH, b. December 21, 1936; d. June 07, 1997; m. KATHLEEN LEACH.
10. ISAAC FERN4 THOMAS (CHARLES ALBERT3, ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born January 06, 1898 in Osceola Mills, PA, and died October 11, 1979 in Potomac Hospital; Woodbridge, VA. He married (1) RACHEL CATHERINE HEINBAUGH, daughter of ELMER HEINBAUGH and ANNIE *UNKNOWN. She was born January 24, 1904 in Altoona, Pennsylvania, and died July 10, 1972 in Mercy Hospital; Altoona, PA. He married (2) MARY LUCINA SWARTZWELDER August 01, 1924 in Breezewood, PA. on Swartzwelder Farm, daughter of RITNER SWARTZWELDER and MARY HIXSON. She was born July 01, 1906 in Breezewood, PA (Ray's Hill)E. Prov. Twp., and died January 16, 1970 in Washington, D.C..
Notes for ISAAC FERN THOMAS:
I. F. Thomas and Mary Swartzwelder were married on August 1, 1924 on the Swartzwelder farm at Breezewood, PA. Mary Alice Thomas (Gardner), sister of the groom and Wallace Swartzwelder cousin of the bride stood in for them. There was a family dinner, after which the couple travelled to Osceola Mills, PA where they lived with sister Alice and her family until they found a place. They lived in an apartment and later moved to Hollidaysburg, PA>
More About MARY LUCINA SWARTZWELDER:
Occupation: Worked several years as Vegetable
Chef for Mayflower Hotel in
Child of ISAAC THOMAS and MARY SWARTZWELDER is:
i. ALICE JEAN5 THOMAS, b. July 12, 1927, Hollidaysburg, PA.; m. (1) RALPH RIORDON, 1947; m. (2) WALTER ROLAND PETERMAN, January 24, 1949, Washington, D.C. NAVSECSTA Chapel; Chaplain Geo. W. Cummins; b. March 30, 1929, Granville, Licking County, Ohio (at Grandma Weekley's).
More About ALICE JEAN THOMAS:
Baptism: May 20, 1928, Methodist Church; Hollidaysburg, PA; Rev. Barnett H. Hart
Note: January 24, 1999, Celebrated 50th Wdding Anniversary
Religion: Presbyterian. Served as Deacon and on various committees. and Coordinator for feeding program at Homeless Prevention Center.
More About WALTER ROLAND PETERMAN:
Baptism: March 28,
1945, Condit Presbyterian Church;
Education: 1993, BS Business Administration; Strayer College (University)
Military service: Bet. June 11, 1947 - December 19, 1966, U. S. Navy; Retired as a Communications Technician Senior Chief.
Note: January 24, 1999, Celebrated 50th Wdding Anniversary
Occupation: Bet. 1966 - 2000, Various Government Contractors also auto and real estate sales. Square Dance Caller/Instructor
Religion: Presbyterian; Elder, served on various church, Presbytery amd Synod committees. Sang in church choir.
11. KERMIT EARL4 THOMAS (CHARLES ALBERT3, ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born July 09, 1904, and died October 26, 1995. He married HELEN DAVIDSON.
Children of KERMIT THOMAS and HELEN DAVIDSON are:
i. HELEN LOUISE5 THOMAS, b. June 13, 1934; d. June 01, 1998.
ii. BETTY MAE THOMAS, b. June 07, 1938; m. CALVIN WILEY.
12. MARY ALICE4 THOMAS (CHARLES ALBERT3, ISAAC M.2, PETER1) was born January 04, 1910. She married (1) THURMAN GARDNER. She married (2) LEWIS GILL.
Child of MARY THOMAS and THURMAN GARDNER is:
i. THURMAN ALLEN5 GARDNER, b. December 23, 1926; d. February 09, 1998; m. (1) FAYE PEIGHTAL; m. (2) AUDREY LEONARD.
More About THURMAN ALLEN GARDNER:
Nickname: Banjo, Banj
COPYRIGHT: Information on these pages is available for non-commercial use only and may not be reproduced in any format for profit. Walter R. Peterman
ADDRESS COMMENTS TO Walt
LAST UPDATED 12:25 PM 04/09/2011